Saturday, August 3, 2013

Gumption

gump·tion  
/ˈgəmpSHən/
Noun
Shrewd or spirited initiative and resourcefulness.
Synonyms
initiative


Do you have gumption?  I've been described as having it in years past - "That kid's got a lot of gumption!" but I don't really believe that it was gumption at all.  Instead, it was a concoction of naivety and hope.  It's easy to have gumption when you have ignorance as a dear friend.  I've taken unknown risks before and it was easy and exciting because it was just that - unknown.

But what about gumption when you are more aware of the risks?  When one is knowledgeable about the pursuit in front of them and is aware of the risks and decides to go for it, well, isn't that more what gumption really is?  After all, I would hope that there is a difference between bravery and foolishness, but then again, that judgement is all about point of view.

For instance, the more I learn about approaching galleries and dealers, the correct approach, the dos and don'ts, the more I have slumped away from it.  My posture has never been worse.

None the less, I am currently practicing gumption.  I used to have this down a bit better, but as time wears on all of us, sometimes we lose a bit of our feisty nature.  We can get comfortable or tired.  I've been both over the past year, but am not ready to give in just yet.  So courage and confidence are being worked on in preparation for things to come.  Small steps.

Through the Trees, 2013
Oil on panel, 16x12"
Krystal Booth
*Inspired by nature walk in Tualatin Hills Nature Park, and
my entry into the cover contest.


I have entered a cover contest for the Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District Activities Guide for 2014.  They issue three of them per year.  While it is not as prestigious as winning the Turner Prize at the Tate, and I am sure that I will lose to a five year old's brilliant drawing of a sunshine landscape with smiling stick figures whose charm is irresistible, my work was submitted and I would love it to be one of the three selected images for the year.  It is definitely a step up from the Snoopy coloring contest won in the second grade.  
Surely, I did not send this paragraph along with my submission.

The submission was an attempt to get back some gumption.  Were there high risks?  Not especially - it was only a clicking of a button to submit it for their judging.  The risk is that it will not be selected and a kick to the ever-childish ego will ensue.  At this point though, who cares?  I'd rather fall on my face than not share my work.

I will be sending an initial Letter of Intent for a project grant this week.  The project is a great one for my local community and worthy of sharing.  Spoiler alert:  It is not cold fusion or time travel, but simply a series of paintings.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend and practicing the mastery of gumption in your lives too whether you know it or not.  Courage and Love to All - no form of these two are too small.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...