Saturday, December 3, 2011

Freud and Spontaneous Combustion: Influences


I looked up a music video for Grizzly Bear's "Two Weeks" today out of curiosity.  The way their eyes appear enlarged reminded me of Lucian Freud's early portraits...but maybe not the way their heads combust into fireworks and fire.  None the less, I'm happily making the comparison.

First, Lucian Freud's early portraits:






And now for the video -


What do you think?  I haven't researched if the videographer meant to make that reference or not, but I think whether or not we intend to be influenced by particular visual images does not matter.  We can be influenced by anything and everything we see without being fully aware.

I've been somewhat struggling to figure out what artists I would claim were influences...there are so many and for so many different reasons.  I think it will be figured out more clearly as my own work matures.  We are all influenced in our day to day lives either negatively or positively, and it's nearly impossible to mentally be present and critically minded about this at all times.  What are you most afraid of sneaking in to influence you, and what/who would you like to be influenced by more?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...