Monday, December 19, 2011

Red Flags and Modigliani's Warning

I could tell you this amazing story of being approached by a gallery located in New York City (in Chelsea) who want to represent my work.  I could tell you that they are listed in the Artist's and Graphic Designer's Market Book.  I could tell you that they came across my website and that is what prompted this desire for partnership.

I could tell you that.  I wouldn't be lying.
I also wouldn't be telling you the whole story.  Teehee

Gilda Radner was right in titling her book, "It's Always Something".  There is always something, isn't there?  So here is the rest of the story -

Yes, I recieved an email from a NYC gallery located in the Chelsea who came across my website and were soliciting representation.  How did I not immediately freak out with happiness and scream while running around the neighborhood?  Red flags.

Red Flag #1:
My website currently sucks and has nothing on it except for one work.  I'm still in the process of redoing, revising, and/or getting rid of that particular webhost and blah,blah,blah.  Anyhow, the bottom line is they saw nothing.  Hahahahahaha!

Red Flag #2:
They made a small mention of an annual promotional fee.  Really?  What kind of promotional fee?  After some digging, I found that the promotional fees begin at almost $4,000!  A YEAR! Hahahahaha!  No, thank you.  (Who the hell pays this just to show their work?! - and it would be a group show!  Not a solo!)  I was surprised that they even had any work to show on the gallery walls in the photos.  This solidified my suspicion that it was a vanity gallery.  No thank you to ALL of those.

Turns out that two red flags were enough!  Besides that, I just saw the ending of the movie "Modigliani" and I saw what happened to him when he had an important show.  I'm not quite ready to be beat to death in a back alley yet as crowds applaud my work at the opening.  My work is not ready for that kind of applause, but when it is, perhaps then I will be ready for living on the edge.  Of course, the real moral to the ending of that movie was don't be late to your own show and certainly do not brag about having tons of money in a dimly lit bar.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...