Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Revision and Sharing the Information



I am going through the process of revising my website(www.krystalbooth.com), and when I say "revising" I am actually saying that I am redoing the whole thing! Every aspect! This is why:

I went to the CAA National Professional-Development Workshop for Artists on September 25th at Oregon College of Art and Craft. The day workshop was titled "Marketing and Entrepreneurship for Artists: Maximizing Your Practice". I really enjoyed this workshop and the panel of people who presented. What a wealth of information on putting together artist packets, and marketing on the internet. I will briefly list some tips and information that I learned that day. If you would like more information about anything, please post the question or email me at krystal@krystalbooth.com and I'll be happy to help if I can.

* Everything you do, or say should reflect your work.
* The Artist Packet: (Place all of the following neatly inside a folder)
1. Letter- Be specific in who you are addressing and their gallery.
2. Artist Resume
3. CD- 10-20 images labeled with: artist name, title, materials,dimensions
PLUS: Include a physical annotated works list with thumbnail images & same
label information. Number them so that it is easy for the viewer.
4. Printed Images: Print out 5 different images of your work. Preferably 8x10"
with caption on cardstock, or put labels on the back of the print outs. This
allows the gallery owner/curator to have easy access to your work and begin
to get familiar with your imagery immediately upon opening your packet.
5. Artist Statement
* Upon meeting the gallery owner (MAKE AN APPOINTMENT- DO NOT JUST SHOW UP), it is
important to already know the audience for your work, know your availability for
possible exhibitions, be confident and professional. Do not show everything you
have ever made, and do not go into the meeting expecting a critique (that is not
why either of you are there).
* Keep typeface the same on all forms of communication from business cards to blogs.
* Lacking in publications? Create your own catalogue or pamphlet. Blurb.com,
ShutterFly.com, and Apple.com can make creating your own catalogue much easier...
and not to mention the possiblities of ebooks.
* www.kickstarter.com offers an online place to gather funding for projects from
donations.
* Two sites that will help you personalize your website fairly
inexpensively: www.virb.com ,or http://flavors.me

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...