Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Whole Point

This blog is about sharing the experience of creating and showing my work. I should include my emotions about my experiences and not just a list of "I am showing here" and "I got rejected there".

The Emotional Truth:

I am nervous about my solo show and how my artwork will be perceived...how I will be percieved as a result. It's like I just woke up out of the fog of creating the work yesterday when Jason Brown and I were hanging all fourteen works from the Huddleston Series.

The realization set in. I had fourteen portraits of dead people. It is not exactly an attractive topic- the whole death thing- and as I was creating the work, I was not dwelling upon morbid perversions. While I spent hours with each portrait, I made up stories about their lives and honored their well earned wrinkles. I was not thinking about their deaths- I was wondering about their lives. Thinking about the strangers I would never know, and hoping that their experiences of life were wonderful while they were with us. I hoped that they had those moments in which they knew that they were loved by the people in their lives.

This is why I am nervous. Viewers typically spend only a few seconds with any given artwork. It is a rarity that an viewer will stand in front of a work for two minutes or more. People often keep walking as they are looking...

Mark Rothko put benches where his work was displayed to encourage the viewer to spend more time in order to experience the work. Smart man.

At first glance, and just perusing through the work the viewers may only see dead people...unlike in the Sixth Sense though. :) I am scared they will miss the opportunity to create their own narratives and miss out on the point of it all.

FILLED WITH ANXIETY...but this is a part of putting oneself out there, right?

2 comments:

A said...

I'm dying to know how your show went!

Krystal Booth said...

Lilith! I'm so sorry that I haven't been on here in awhile- it's been a rough couple of months.
The show went really well as far as the reception of my work- though one couple entered the room and left immediately, which I found to be really entertaining! lol
As far as sales, the way the show was set up made it a bit confusing for the viewers- the standard labels with prices were not used and instead there was a pricelist...that no one seemed to see. I lived, I learned. :)
Thank you so much for asking! I promise to be on here more consistently in the future for sure!
Thanks, Lilith!
Krystal Booth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...