Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Beardsley and Costanza Leave on a High Note

Aubrey Beardsley 1872 - 1898


I first found a work by Beardsley in an Art History book while studying Art Education.  That little black and white ink work measuring no more than 2 x 1" fascinated me.  The designs were so intricate, and yet some areas were boldly left bare.  The sensuous curved lines made me instantly fall in love with his work.  I cannot claim to know much about his life yet, though as I read part of his biography it seems as though it would make a better movie than some that are being produced.  His health seemed to always be an issue and at no surprise to him, he died at age 25.  Looking at his work, I would have never guessed that he passed away so young, and it only makes me wonder what his work would have been like later in life.  I'm left craving more, and I guess that's a good way to make an exit...and now I'm thinking of George Costanza (leaving on a high note)- oh pop culture, you've made my brain like those stupid Bing search engine commercials...








And here's some George Costanza to brighten your day as well...

and leaving on a high note...

2 comments:

Jan Priddy, Oregon said...

I am an old-time fan of Beardsley! I found a book of his censored drawings remaindered when I was a starving college student. (That's a very long time ago!)

Krystal Booth said...

I'm glad you enjoy his work too - it seems as though he gets ignored in so many art history books and classes. I guess they leave him as a wonderful surprise for us to find on our own. Also, thank you for taking the time to stop in and follow this little blog of mine. I absolutely love your blog and have been a huge fan of it. Thank you, Jan! I am honored!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...