Monday, February 28, 2011

A Dose of Inspiration

"Let the critics spot trends.


Let reviewers concern themselves with
what is in and what is not.


Let us concern ourselves first and foremost
with what it is within us that is
struggling to be born."


- Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way

I guess this is the dose of inspiration that I needed upon receiving yet another show rejection.  It was for a group show called "Small Works" at Harper's College.  I really thought I stood a shot, but when the results were posted this morning, my name was clearly not there...I ran over the list three times checking for my name.  No Dice.

Oh well, I guess I'm just one rejection closer to a "Yes!", and that's some good news!  Get these rejections out of the way early.  I'd rather start slow and end brilliantly.  I want to be a comet invading the atmosphere- gaining speed, rather than fading further away.

The point is this- do the rejections in life hold all the weight of our decisions?  Do we let obstacles bully us into taking the easy path?  No, we don't.  We are who we are for a reason.  We do what we do because it is simply what we must do- to be more of ourselves and fulfill our duties in this life.  We rarely know why.  We only know about the driving forces within all of us and it is our choice to listen to it or not.  We have the responsibility of becoming more of ourselves everyday- this is a simple idea, though it is not always easy to do.  I'm still trying to get off of my training wheels, but it certainly helps when I see others off of theirs and being true to themselves despite the judgements of others.

This is not unlike when I actually did get my training wheels off of my bike- thank you Amy Grandin for the extra push I needed!  Without your inspiration, I do believe it would have taken years for me to have the courage I needed to shed those squeaky things!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...