Saturday, March 3, 2012

Landscape in Progress


This is what I'm working on today - a landscape inspired by a photograph that Matthew and I took when we were traveling from Indiana to Oregon. 

The image spreads across two canvases.



The photograph was of an old abandoned mining facility in either Wyoming or Utah.  All of our traveling photos quickly got out of order, and now everytime we look at them, we get in a debate over what state goes with each photo.  We have learned our lesson for next time!



I loved the lines and land contours in this photograph.  The mining facility is a beautiful ruin, but I decided to omit it from my painting and focus upon the landscape instead.  I may paint this again with a focus more upon the mining facility in the future, because I really do like the structures.  What a story it tells!

I like to use my own photographs as a starting point for several of my works.  I use them as visual references but like to add more drama and exagerate them as much as possible.  I'll keep you posted on the results - I have a lot of work ahead today!  I love the exagerated color, but I need to subdue some areas a bit.  Also, the sky is a bit too smooth and lacking personality at the moment, but maybe my opinion will change...it's too early to tell. 

Cheers to giving your world some personality and I hope you are enjoying your weekend!  Love to all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...