Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, Same Goals

Some things just take time. 

Supposedly anything worth a damn will test one's endurance and patience.  Persistance is the key, and it isn't easy.  The New Year brings renewed hope that we will conquer our goals and have the diligence to follow them through to the end.

So many of my goals have been the same as last year and the year before that.  I failed to do most of them.  It's easy to understand the jaded view points of some of my friends when it comes to the act of making resolutions.  I understand.  What is the point if it will only become a weapon that we will use in December to club ourselves with for not acheiving what we set out to accomplish? 

I have kept a journal for most of my life, and every December I usually look forward to writing a year end reflection.  It helps me think about the events, the high points, the low points, and ultimately about progress and what to strive for in the coming year.  This year I find myself rebelling and only wanting to look ahead. 

I have decided to allow this rebellion.  The trained teacher inside of me cringes at this.  "Can there be progress without taking inventory of progress?" it pleads. 

Yes, of course there can.  I was there and lived it.  I accomplished.  I failed.  I loved, laughed, cried, and yelled in anger.  I cussed like a sailor, spoke sweetly like a saint, and used cliches.  I ran from a crazy lady in NW Portland who I thought was going to kill me as she whispered in quick words about Native Americans and the Mayans.  Come to think of it, I was also told by another angered stranger that I didn't "have the balls"...it's still a mystery what exactly he was talking about...again in downtown Portland.  Evidently, I make anyone who is a little off kilter mentally a bit peeved just by my existence.

So all in all, a great year! Hahaha

I'm looking ahead to making some major changes this year, and without the baggage of unfulfilled hopes of 2012.  I left them with the year, and am moving on.  I am pretending that when I wrote them down this year it was the first time I had seen them.  How's that for trick psychology? 
Lose weight?  GREAT!  (It totally works.)

Except perhaps I should at least learn that ignoring strangers in downtown Portland isn't always a bad idea (unless I need to run from them).

Happy New Year, everyone, and I hope that you are feeling renewed and dreaming big this year!
Love to all of you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...