Monday, July 26, 2010

Ode to Egon Schiele




Egon Schiele...here's an artist I have often ignored, and I'm not sure why. His work just didn't catch my attention while I was in college. I am now beginning to understand the brilliance of what he accomplished in his work.

He didn't overwork the surface. He worked with thin washes of color. He knew just where to put certain splotches of color to describe what he saw. He didn't over blend, and allowed the viewer to do this with his/her eyes. As some artists gain experience, they seem to know what is necessary in terms of line and color and do not rely on the extra "stuff". It's more mental work than physically applying the paint and lines. I admire his ability to make risky decisions within the image and keeping his surface so raw. He knows just where to put lines, and how thick or thin they should be. Schiele's work is sensual. It's vivid and subtle all at once. His figures are vulnerable because of how he shows the fragility of their flesh.

On a completely different note- I didn't make it into the show that I submitted to because they didn't recieve my email in the first place! All of that waiting and checking my email was in vein! ha! I called them, and that's how it was all figured out. Technology is brilliant, but sometimes it really doesn't come through when it should for people. HOWEVER- I am excited to submit my work to them for their next show, and the owner is extremely nice. So all is how it should be, and I'm excited to look ahead.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...