Monday, July 12, 2010

Revisiting Gladdy




This is the untold story of Gladdy, my black goldfish who lived a beautiful life until 2005. I truly enjoyed Gladdy while she was with us, and it was the best therapy to watch her freely swim across her big tank after I had a particularly stressful day. When she passed I was extremely sad, and immediately decided to paint a picture of her. I scooped her body up in a coffee cup and began sketching with full plans of giving her last rites above my toilet bowl.

However, I thought that I would miss out on details and colors if I flushed her. I needed her as a reference to do her justice in the planned painting. I put her in a plastic ziploc bag and promptly put her in the freezer.

Time passed, the painting began and then was finished. Gladdy remained frozen in time like Walt Disney's head. The apartment ceiling gave out due to heavy rain during roof repairs, and we had to abruptly move to a new apartment.

Two months passed when I realized that I had forgotten Gladdy. Her clear coffin was to be the last object I grabbed before going over to the new apartment. How could I forget my dear friend?

So at some point there was an extremely confused and disgusted maintenance person, and a thawed out fish in a bag. Gladdy, I have no idea where to mourn you now, but RIP my friend. Your body was forgotten, but your spirit is remembered for who knows how many years into the future...peace be with you. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...