Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week Eight: Moving Towards the Ultimate




Week Eight of The Artist's Way was pretty much a focus upon ultimate goals.  I struggled to try to establish my ultimate goals in writing within my journal.  Afterall, where do I want my art to ultimately take me is not an easy question to answer, unless I were to say "The sky is the limit!", but of course Julia Cameron was guiding her readers to establish some concrete goals with concrete markers of progress.  In a nutshell, it was about establishing what success means to the individual.

That's difficult, because there are so many options of how one can measure career success.  Is it a certain number of publications or reviews?  Is it a show with all of my works selling?  Is it being able to support myself financially through my art?  Is it through recognition of being a respected artist within the community or world stage?

I actually chose pretty much all of these, but with more detail.  Afterall, why not shoot for the moon here?  What is the harm?  Afterall, I'm already disappointed with all the rejections I've been recieving lately that it is pretty much the norm to be let down, so why not?  Despite of the rejections, I keep looking ahead and keeping my chin up, so don't worry- I'm taking it as it is making me stronger and will make success so much sweeter! 

Without a rollercoaster of disappointment and triumph, life would be dull like a lukewarm bath.

One benefit I have found already within this goal writing exercise is that I have more fire under my keester for the past few days.  I kept hearing RuPaul in my head say, "You better WORK!", and who would dare to disappoint RuPaul?  Not this gal.

It has made me connect the ultimate goal with what I can do today.  It has helped me to focus a bit more on getting things going earlier in my day, and working for longer periods of time.  "What can I do today" seriously needs to be my mantra from now on.  With only one question, I am motivated and getting out materials.  Hallaloo!

Now it's your turn!  Do you have any words/sayings/people who inspire or motivate you?  What helps you to create a sense of focus?  Let RuPaul serenade you while you are thinking...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2wrU2tkl38

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...