Friday, February 4, 2011

The Powerful Fear of Jinxing It

I can officially tell you that I am now illustrating a book of historical fiction written by Ben Tanosborn, and I couldn't be happier or more excited about this opportunity!  The publishing date is set for June of this year.  CHEERS!  This has actually been in the works for the past three weeks, but I have told only a few of my loved ones.  I stopped myself from shouting it from the rooftops.  Not because I wasn't elated- because I am- but because I did not want to jinx it. 

I recently recieved a phone call from one of these close friends.  He was originally calling me to find out the final outcome, and as we were talking it came out that he had officially entered the dating scene.  He now has a girlfriend...and has had this girlfriend for two weeks now!  He and his girlfriend were hesitant to just declare it upon the start, one of the reasons was the fear of jinxing their new relationship.

Why does the fear of bad luck prevent us from declaring things when they happen?  The part of us that wants to celebrate is overpowered by the other part of us that is filled with fear of jinxing the occasion.  Is it belief in superstition or is it a learned behavior through experience?  I mean really, who hasn't been completely let down immediately after announcing something of importance?  Have we all been burned that bad to consistently greet happiness with silence? 

The idea that came to mind in deciding not to post anything on this blog about the illustration opportunity was about embarrassment.  I felt that if I were to post something on this site as it was happening, I could possibly be setting myself up for the humiliation and embarrassment of explaining how things went wrong over and over to different people if things went wrong.  I didn't want to give this type of nightmare a chance so I took a vow of silence until it was official.  Now it is OFFICIAL!

Maybe the fear of jinxing something gives us time to get used to a new idea, a new opportunity, or a new person, and get comfortably prepared.  Ultimately, upon the moment of declaration we are taking responsibility for success or failure.  Have you held yourself back because of the fear of bad luck?  Do you think this originates from a personal supersitition or from personal experience?

2 comments:

A said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have recently started something new, and only my husband, kids, and two friends know about it.

Why haven't I told everyone else? Because I fear I will jinx myself!

Krystal Booth said...

EXACTLY! Isn't it crazy how we do that? Maybe it's a self-preservation thing until we know it is going to go smoothly, or at least feel not as vulnerable. Good luck with your new endeavor!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...