Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday Madness: Dancing the Goals Away

MONDAY MADNESS!

I wrote my goals for the day with a cup of coffee a few minutes ago...revise a painting, revise a drawing, finish another painting (or come close), plan out my next bubble portrait, dishes, laundry, Dance Central...

I started to think about the big goals, and how I have failed to attain them over and over again.  How do I approach these goals with a fresh start, or in other words, without the baggage of previous fails?  How do I mute that negative talk inside my head- that skepticism that I will ever achieve them?  I glanced down at my daily goals...Dance Central...

Last week a new friend, who I feel as though I have known for much longer than I have, came over to play Dance Central with me.  I tried out a new song - the routine for "Push It" by Salt n Pepa, and I was outrageously horrible!  We had plenty of laughs as I tried to get the moves that seemed so unnatural and awkward.  Sweating and laughing, I accepted my complete failure.

MightyMeCreative Performing Dance Central "Push It" from YouTube.



Yesterday, I decided to give it a try again.  I have been going through all of the songs and trying to get Five Gold Stars (perfect score) for each of the songs.  I failed and failed and failed, but steadily saw my score getting better gradually.  I was out of breath, tired and sweaty, but I was determined to get it down.  Within an hour and a half I had Five Gold Stars on the Easy, Medium, and Hard levels for the song.  HOORAY!  I jumped for joy and did a silent little cheer of joy in my apartment!  I did it!  I did it!  I did the freaking impossible!  (This is not me in the video - lol - it was posted by MightyMeCreative on YouTube)

The dog walkers and neighbors on the other side of my closed blinds didn't care.  The entire world didn't care that I had just accomplished this foolish little goal.  But I did, and that's all that mattered.

So today, I am reflecting upon that as I look at my goals.  Like so many others, I've always been good at creating goals, but it's always the problem of how to get there.  It takes time, patience, determination, and hard work.  It takes sweat, laughter, anger, disappointment, and delight.  It takes the honesty of knowing exactly where you're at, and where you want to go.  The distance between the two begins to get filled in with each attempt, mistake, or success.  The small progressions make the biggest difference.  A mastery of a this dance step, of that dance step, and then putting them together for the next one. 

Who knew that I would find advice on succeeding and build inner confidence through a video game?  We're all foolish if we have ever thought that video games do not teach!  (I also learned how to steal cars from Grand Theft Auto! LOL  Just kidding).

2 comments:

A said...

Watching that makes me want to get a Kinect. We have a Wii, but I'm thinking with any dancing type game the Kinect would be so much easier!

Krystal Booth said...

Lilith,

Can you believe that it took me this long to figure out how to fix my problem with posting my own comments? Well it did. I'm sorry for the delayed response, and I finally figured out the problem! It is now fixed!

The Wii is so much fun too! Dance Central is a blast on the Kinect, but I'm hoping that they come out with a lot more games for it. Currently they don't have too many to choose from, but hopefully that will change with time. Thanks for commenting!

Krystal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...