Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Black Fox in my Kitchen and other Challenges

It has been a busy week that has been a complete blur.  So many things have popped up and I've thought, "I should blog about that", but for some reason or another I never made it over to the computer.  It has been that kind of week.

I did manage to paint our kitchen a dark gray color that I'm currently in love with - Black Fox (Sherwin Williams #7020).  One wouldn't think of dark gray for a small apartment kitchen like ours, but it really makes the cream cabinets and countertops pop.  The contrast is beautiful.  It still needs a second coat but this is what it looks like for now -




That wall usually has a big 2x3' painting covering a large portion of the wall that Matthew made for me a few years ago.  I'm looking forward to putting it back up, although I've already been thinking about putting it in the bedroom above the bed.  Oh, how I love to rearrange our space, and think of new ways to decorate it...though at times the decor only seems to say, "Yes, we are busy, quick living kind of people."

I'm hoping that changes as I've been getting more organized and have been introduced to Pinterest.  Does Pinterest make you want to clean and reorganize absolutely everything or is it just me?  I find myself fantasizing about file cabinets, organizing systems, a pleasing color succession in the closet of our hanging clothes, art pleasingly placed in groups that are not hung crooked, little herb gardens in cute planters, tidy bookshelves without dust, and nothing but clean surfaces with the occasional plant that is thriving.

I usually kill plants. That may be the first hint that this will be a challenge, but one can hope that some of it will come to fruition.  One task at a time, right?

Studio time this week has flown by with very little to show for it.  I did a couple of drawings and a painting - only one really turned out.  The shame is that the drawing that turned out isn't really photographing and scanning that well.  It's not showing the texture of the design on the paper surface that way I'd like it to.  It's a drawing on a sheet of wallpaper.  The wallpaper is entirely white, and the design isn't showing like it does when viewing it in person.  It seems that if the design shows, as it does below, the contrast in the drawing itself is compromised.






Some weeks are just going to be like this last one as I attempt this 100 works goal for this year.  That's alright.  I know that some other weeks will make up for this stumble.  It's important to just keep going by showing up to put in the work.  How are you doing on your goals for this year?  By February we've been at our New Year's Resolutions long enough that there are bound to be hiccups in the process, but I hope you've stuck with it.  If not, just try again, my friends and may we all remember that change and accomplishments are all about the process...

And that process will hopefully be worth it in the end, or we'll happily gorge ourselves on doughnuts and doritos.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...