Saturday, February 9, 2013

And I Glimpsed an Alien Pilgrim

While thumbing through fashion magazines for material for the fashion series of paintings, I come across quite a bit of advertisements that catch my imagination.  Not the kind of imagination that the advertisers are hoping to achieve - the "Oh, I would fancy wearing that" variety, but instead the "Oh, put her in the right setting and she would look like Benjamin Franklin!"  This is sometimes followed by a Who Would Wear That? session.

The following is one such ad for Chanel that captured my unwanted attention:
(And of course, I don't own the rights to this, did not create this, and I give full credit to Bazaar Magazine and the photographer for publishing this advertisement for Chanel.  This is also not the entire image, as it is a two page spread.)
Now that that's over, here's the image:



Her heavy, masculine brow caught my attention.  By the way, have you noticed the heavy brow look more and more in magazines?  I think we're headed toward Frida Kahlo's unibrow, but that's besides the point.

She looks like a severe pilgrim.

Soooo....I decided to do a little fun drawing of her with my frame of mind of how I saw this.  I drew it up using very severe line work of inner contours, and I wanted to omit as much curving lines as possible.  I then did washes of color over parts of the drawing to give more interest and dimension.

This is what I came up with that I promptly named "Alien Pilgrim":


Alien Pilgrim, 2013
Graphite and watercolor on paper
12x9"
 
 
The combination of the title and the image made me laugh, so it was only fitting that I wrote up the Etsy description for this protype in this manner.  Follow the link and I hope you laugh!
 

I am hoping it recieves the home it deserves - one with a sense of humor! :)  After all, why does fine art and little studies like this one have to be serious all of the time?

Onward to finishing the tree painting now.  I hope your enjoying your Saturday, and I hope that I at least gave you a smile.  Love to all!



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...