Sunday, February 17, 2013

More Crack Please

It's been a busy, yet relaxing, last couple of days.  Much work has been done in the form of painting, bike riding, grocery shopping, and art store adventuring.  Matthew and I have also taken on the form of human beds and chairs for our two cats, despite what we are doing.  Olive in particular has been running to my lap the minute she hears me move a paint brush off the easel.  She seems to think I paint my best with her on my lap.

The title refers to the works completed this week (not to drugs - crack is whack):


Looking Up, 2013
Oil on canvas, 12x16".
Krystal Booth
 
 
The above was inspired by a venture to the Hoyt Arboretum.  When establishing the surface of the main tree, it seemed to be a struggle to gain texture in the beginning.  Luckily with the successive layers and a bit of the impasto technique (heavy application of paint), some texture was achieved with the cracks of the tree.  I enjoyed using the bright colors - I could've painted this forever, though it would have then ended up as something to cover up and begin again.  It's tricky business knowing when to stop.
 
 
 
 
 
Wyoming Landscape, 2013
Oil on canvas, 8x10"
Krystal Booth
 
 
This small painting was also finished this week and the crevices along the distant stacked rocks provided a nice challenge that only my smallest brush could achieve.  I based this off of a photo taken when we were traveling through Wyoming.  The rocks were absolutely amazing.  I had never seen anything like it!  The formations were organized chaos and definitely made it a highlight of our journey.
 
After our cross country relocation here to Portland, I vowed that I would never drive that again.  It was nerve wrecking at times due to my fear of heights.  Looking back now, and seeing the images from our adventure, I now am only remembering the good (except for one awful section of coming out of the mountains that will always remain - forever scarred into my brain).  Yup, I think given the opportunity to travel that route again, I would do it. 
 
I wish you a good start to your week, and the adventures that come your way!
 
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...