Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Look! You're Surrounded!

This morning I finished out the work week and have made it home in time for afternoon coffee.  I am cheers-ing you by showing you a couple of work themed daily sketches.  Just in case any management sees these, no need to worry, as I used my ten minute breaks to make these.  :)

A Delivery Truck...
 
 
and the scribbling down of the inside the store looking at the entrance.
 
 
Are these the most entertaining subjects?  Not really, but they were fun to get down on paper.  The thing that is fun about daily sketches is that they are kind of a collection of places where I have been - a visual diary of my everyday.  Some days are less than inspiring - it can be the same old, same old, and I think once we get into that frame of mind, we miss out on opportunities.
 
I've actually been pretty hum-bum about daily sketches lately.  I've been uninspired by the same surroundings everyday.  The truth is is that I'm not paying attention enough.  I made myself draw that delivery truck the other day.  It wasn't inspiring at first, but then the different sharp angles caught my eye a bit when looking at the cab and under the truck itself.  Once it began appearing on the page, it was interesting, and I wanted to capture more and see how all of these shapes fit together.  If I had had my way, I would have sat out there for another ten minutes at least to try to record the shadows and tones, but break was over.  I'm learning that it's only boring if I'm not really looking. (This also goes along with what my Mom always told me when I was growing up, "Only boring people are bored.")
 
For the next three days, I'm off at my day job and planning to have a few more works finished.  One of which will hopefully be this one -
 
 
It's in a rough starting stage, but there's potential, if I'm willing to look!
 
My challenge for you is to find something mundane in your environment this week and really study it.  What was it and how did it change before your eyes? 
 
PS.  If you really struggle with this, just pile up a blanket, and you've got yourself your own miniature mountain to capture your imagination and Tonka Trucks.  Tah-Dah!  Challenge complete!
 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...