Friday, March 29, 2013

Why You Will Fail

Larry Smith
 
I just finished watching an amazing TEDx talk of Larry Smith titled "Why you will fail to have a great career" on YouTube uploaded by TEDxTalks.   WOW.  If it is not a smack in the face to wake up, I don't know what is.
 
My best friend called last night and it wasn't long before he asked what number of work I was on for the year.  He cares and is holding me accountable, and I absolutely love that.  My reply was an apologetic, "Not much from when we last talked...I'm on number 16 now."  He gave encouragement by saying, "Think of it this way, that's probably 10 more than you would've done by this time."  He's absolutely right.
 
I've been thinking a lot lately about longevity.  The fact that I'm still painting seven years after earning my BFA is a good thing - a great thing.  I was talking to one of my college pals the other night and we talked a bit about having the motivation and determination to keep going even when it gets tough.  It has been tough for both of us in the last seven years, but we still create.

That in itself is an accomplishment, though I don't necessarily think that it is praiseworthy.  Art is just what I do.  It keeps me sane and I need it.  It is the only way I feel myself, and the only area of expertise that I can confidently say is an expertise after so many years of studying so many different aspects and the long history.  Without it, I would be a hollow shell...what's crazy is I don't even think I'm being dramatic.  I think without it, my zest for life would be gone completely.

Some of our peers have fallen out of love for creating as they once did.  It doesn't turn them on anymore, or they found other interests that became passions more powerful than what they had for art.  Others still enjoy visual art, but maybe are doing other things such as curating or writing about it.  It's not that those of us who are still creating art have any more determination than our peers that are now going in different directions.  I'm hoping that it's just due to their finding other interests and passion in other areas that didn't occur to them before, or are just now getting the chance to pursue.  Other opportunities may have resonated more.

I remember being warned in the first year of college that we would be weeding ourselves out through the years there and the process would still continue out in the world.  Only a small percentage of us would actually graduate in the Fine Arts field (which turned out to be true), and an even smaller percentage would actually still be creating after the diploma was framed upon the wall (which is turning out to be true).  I remember one of my favorite mentors telling us that if you could be successful and happy doing anything other than art, than do that instead.  He was warning us of the difficulties, and preparing us for what we need to have a career - consistancy and longevity.  A brew of passion and determination -  you really have to love it in order to have the diligence to keep at it through the years.

My little prayer to the universe is that we all find our passions and have the ability to pursue them.  What a wonderful and different world this would be.

Love to all! 

4 comments:

Jan Priddy, Oregon said...

It's called persistence. I do not recall receiving any warnings as an art student (two BFAs in studio arts). My best friends never stopped, but I did choose to make money and to raise a family. I found the process of marketing my work humiliating. A few years later, a friend asked me how it felt "to give it all up", which was not what I thought I was doing.

But again, when I thought I might begin again, I chose my children over my art.

I have never stopped making art, but I did begin writing seriously about 23 years ago, just before I began teaching. John Gardner warns writers not to teach writing and also try to do it. He says the energy for teaching and writing come from the same place.

I make—though nothing great—and I write—though nothing great. I do not think that is an excuse for being less than I could have been. I think I have been something important. I am proud of my children and proud of my students. I have not had a "great" career, but I have had a mostly-happy one.

To persist is the only way to succeed. I am a persistent person, rarely giving up on anything or anyone. If I thought you needed it, I would wish some of my persistence off on you.

Krystal Booth said...

Jan, you bring up a good point about balancing creating with teaching. I have noticed that you have managed to balance the brilliantly. That shows your persistence is, in my mind, unearthly! You are very much an active and persistent artist. I think you have more persistence than most in order to teach, write, raise a family and take care of yourself. You are a master of balance and persistence. I am hoping someday to get that right.

There are a few areas of concern that I have with it the TEDx talk. It downplays the passion of family and ignores the very real challenges of individuals. I could go on about that, but it's a downer that could make me crawl back into bed. All in all, there are certain things that really resonated and were a kick to get out from under the rock that I keep wanting to get under.

I can also identify with you about the humiliation of marketing. I have been trying to get more comfortable with it, but have been hiding from the areas that would mean the most, like gallery representation or similar. I'm scared to try and so very scared to fail.

Rolina said...

You must've graduated about the same year as I did. Funnily enough, I was thinking that so few are still creating now. Most of us are trying to balance paid work with family with creating and it is so difficult to get it right.

I do know though, that whatever we do outside our own art practice can help inform our work and make us more "well-rounded" which enriches what we do.

I am scared to watch that Ted Talk now in case it puts me off!

Krystal Booth said...

Rolina,
I hope you watched the Ted Talk - I don't think it's as frightening as it sounds like it will be by the title. What did you think of it? I agree with you on the importance of being well-rounded and bringing in other experiences and interests into one's art. I get excited about art that really has a meaning and communicates a lot of thought or feeling, rather than just pretty imagery.
Thank you so much for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...